You name it, it's fair game here: Android development, Windows, C#, Java, my pet, Video Games, Xbox, and Twitter. This is where I dump bits that may be helpful. Or not.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

No Internet connection... Weird Gateway of 0.0.0.0

So I rebooted tonight after a Windows Update and found that I no longer had an internet connection. I checked the usual suspects - cables, routers, switches, modems etc. - no luck. Took a look at my ipconfig and found a mysterious 0.0.0.0 gateway in addition to the usual 192.168.0.1 - something looked foul. I tried ipconfig release but nothing helped. Here is what I did to fix it:

1. Right-Clicked on the desktop, chose new->shortcut
2. Typed "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" (no quotes) as the location
3. Right clicked on my new shortcut, chose "Run As Administrator"
4. At the command prompt I typed:

ipconfig

5. This gave my IP config like this:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fc80::c559:6cf0:33c0:15c5%11
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.144
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
192.168.0.1



5. This gives you a list of your internet adapter info, one of which is your IPPv4 address. As you can see above, the weird gateway is listed before the normal one. Here is the command that I used:

netsh interface ipv4 delete address "Local Area Connection" addr=192.168.0.144 gateway=0.0.0.0

This removed the strange 0.0.0.0 gateway, and my internet connection ! If you have the same issue, make sure you change your ip in the command replacing the 144 address I had. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment